Thursday, August 5, 2010

Series: Do "off-brand" beauty products really work?

Good morning! (or at least, it should be when this post goes live...)

I mentioned in the lolita at work post that I've been planning a series of posts on those cheap products that you can find at many discount retailers for seriously low prices, about if they work or not. Here is the first in that series!

I'll start with the product that I have been using the longest, Elizabeth Arden's Deep Cleansing Mask.

Now Elizabeth Arden isn't a unheard of brand, in fact, it has been around for longer than I have been alive, I think. Despite that, I don't really know where it is usually sold, or how the brand is perceived by those who are really into beauty products, but I was happy to pick up this mask to try out.
I purchased it at T.J. Maxx for less than $10, I can't recall the exact amount. 
Since my face is oily/combination and congested (dead skin and such clogs my pores, ultimately leading to breakouts) I love anything that promises to get down deep and clean out my skin.
I would rate this one an 8 out of 10.
My reasoning behind the rating: I do feel that my skin is much less oily after using the mask- its like it just sucks up all the excess oil, without leaving my skin too dry. As for actually cleaning the skin... meh, it does ok. I usually use this mask first and then follow behind it with a wash to get the maximum cleaning. It does help to stop my skin from continuing to break out during a flare up of acne, and used regularly, it helps to prevent my skin from getting nasty. 
Probably for those with normal skin, or skin not prone to congestion, it would be a great cleansing mask on its own. For those with oily skin, or congested skin like mine, you may want to use it with a wash for the ultimate clean. 

One big concern over this product: I think that it may be out of production now, which makes me sad. I couldn't find it listed on the website when I tried to figure out the normal retail price for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment